Monday, January 28, 2008

...another wine story?

Okay, you all know by now that we made wine in Worcester this summer. I don't mean to bore you, but I had a revelation today, one that you might find interesting. Contrary to popular belief, I have only given away two bottles of the wine we (Tony, Chris, Giuliano, Hugh, Joe Cool, and I) made. I gave a bottle to John and Jackie Kowal, and a bottle to Steve and Cathi Berg. The interesting thing was the all of the recipients asked for more! Mind you, these are not greedy people, just true oenophiles. I have had the priviledge of sharing bottles of good, if not great, wine with both of these couples. However, I find it quite interesting, if not extremely unusual, that both couples would request more. After meditating on this briefly, I came to only one conclusion. Please be warned, this might shock some of you. The wine we made was good, real good. May I be so bold to suggest that this was perhaps some of the best homemade wine ever made in Worcester. Hold on now, I'm gonna upset some of you, I know, but you'll get over it. This wine was better than that which Jesus made! I know what your saying, "How could you?", "That's blasphemy!" Hold on now. Jesus never said he made good wine. Wasn't it the banquet master in John 2, who said that Jesus saved the best for last? Jesus didn't say the wine was good, he just made it, albeit, miraculously. With that being said, Jesus says in John 14:12 that "greather things would we do." If we take Jesus at His word, He expects our wine to be better! He also expects us to share it. With that in mind, we are going to double our capacity next year. We want to bless twice as many people, or bless the same ones twice as much, as this year. Either way, it's a miracle!

1 comment:

TonyD said...

January 28 was my father's birthday - he would have been 85 years old, seeing that he was born in Mussolini's Italy in 1923. It is only fitting that we talk about wine making on his birthday. I learned how to make wine from my Dad when I was just a boy - me and my 3 brothers. The women weren't allowed in the basement or in the cantina, for fear that their menstrual period might ruin the vintage. You can't make this stuff up.
Anyway, in our heyday down ther at 280 Breezehill Avenue, my Dad would make over 200 gallons of wine - enough to keep him and his friends and we and our friends supplied with enough wine to get us through the long, cold, dark Canadian winters. We made great wine with Papa, but the stuff Charlie and I made is, if I may say so myself, fucking great!