Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mitchell

I have a new best friend. His name is Mitchell, and he's my grandsone, my first grandchild. He is so cool. When I wake up in the morning he is the first person I see. Nancy gets him from his crib at about 6:30, and takes him downstairs while she makes coffee. I can hear them as they come up the stairs. Nancy has Mitchell in her arm, Starbucks in her hand. She says to me, "Charl, that's what she calls me in the morning, someone wants to see you." It's Mitchell. Perfect smile, round face...full of joy. Why doesn't everyone look that way first thing in the morning? Nancy places Mitchell on my chest as I'm lying in bed. I don't know if he wants to jump, or just sit there, so I wait for his cue. He tells me. Sometimes he just wants to sit there, and reach out and pull my mustache. I used to have a goatee, which he love to pull and tug on. I shaved it 'cuz it made me look old. On occasion Molly will jump on the bed. Mitchell loves to pull on her fur. It's a lot better than pulling on my goatee, and it comes out a lot easier. He ends up with fistfuls of fur, what a guy! I play a game with Mitchell that I play with Molly. I pretend that my overhead finger is a missile. I call the game "Missle Launch", and it comes complete with sound effects. Mitchell looks at my finger as it slowly approaches his forehead. He like the sound, and I think he's figured out that it's my finger. He likes everything. That's why I enjoy spending so much time with Mitchell. He has a calming affect on my spirit. I can't wait to take him fishing, and teach him how to ice skate, and build camp fires, and sing as if nobody's watching! When I start to think that he'll be a lot like me, I begin to realize I wan't to be more like him...

Peace

No comments: